Monday, February 20, 2006

5 Facts For Contemplation

There are these five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained. Which five?

I am subject to aging, have not gone beyond aging. This is the first fact that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.

I am subject to illness, have not gone beyond illness. ...

I am subject to death, have not gone beyond death. ...

There will be change and separation from all that I hold dear and near to me. ...

I am the owner of my actions,
heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions, and have my actions as my refuge. Whatever I do, for good or for evil, to that will I be the heir.

These are the five facts that one should reflect on often, whether one is a woman or a man, lay or ordained.
Buddha Anguttara-Nikaya V.57

No comments: