Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Lesson From A Zen Story


Working Very Hard
A martial arts student went to his teacher and said earnestly, "I am devoted to studying your martial system. How long will it take me to master it?" The teacher's reply was casual, "Ten years." Impatiently, the student answered, "But I want to master it faster than that. I will work very hard. I will practice everyday, ten or more hours a day if I have to. How long will it take then?" The teacher thought for a moment, "20 years."

Reflections From People's Comments
* "The student is too eager. The master is trying to tell him that he needs to learn patience first."
* "Sometimes, if you try too hard, you just get in your own way. It makes you anxious, which just blocks understanding. Some things have to develop naturally, by themselves."
* "You can't rush true learning. You have to take it one step at a time."
* "Live for the moment. Don't rush things and worry so much about later. Let it flow. I would tell this story to those Type-A personalities who are always pushing in life."
* "The master is trying to tell the student to slow down, experience life, be self-aware. "
* "People always want to get things over with as quick as possible. They want to accomplish everything yesterday!"

No comments: