Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wisdom From A Laugh 46

Something Positive
A husband and wife in their fifties were getting ready for bed. The wife approached a full-length mirror and looked at herself.
“Well, my dear,” she said to the husband. “When I look into the mirror, all I see is an old woman with gray hair, a wrinkled face; her shoulders are hunched, her breasts are sagging, her body and legs are flabby. Oh dear, please tell me something positive about myself to cheer me up.”
“Honey,” the husband remarked from the bed, “I can say for sure that your eyesight is very good.”
Reflection
* The words one uses can hurt the feelings of another even though the insult or ridicule may not be direct.
* One has to be mindful of the words one uses with others -- different people react differently and relationships may be strained through the use of wrong speech.

* Right Speech must have the fllowing elements:
1. the absence of lies that bring about hurt, pain and suffering.
2. the avoidance of slander that brings down a person's dignity, integrity or replutation.
3. the avoidance of harsh speech that hurts the feelings of others.

4. the avoidance of gossip and empty talk which can through carelessness or a lack of mindfulness cause another suffering or bring about negative mental states in others.
With Metta,
Bro. Oh Teik Bin

No comments: