Friday, June 02, 2006

Insight From A Zen Tale

"It Will Pass"
A student went to his meditation teacher and said, "My
meditation is horrible! I feel so distracted, or my legs
ache, or I'm constantly falling asleep. It's just horrible!"
"It will pass," the teacher said matter-of-factly.
A week later, the student came back to his teacher. "My
meditation is wonderful! I feel so aware, so peaceful, so
alive! It's just wonderful!'
"It will pass," the teacher replied matter-of-factly.
Reflection
  • Nothing stays constant ... things and conditions change and that is a fact.
  • When there is realization that phenomena and experiences, whether pleasant, painful or neutral rise and fall away, we learn not to attach, cling and grasp. The mind then moves in the direction of inner calm, joy, equanimity and freedom.
  • Realizing that 'All things will pass', the virtues of patience, understanding and tolerance will grow and gow.
  • A mind seeing that 'All Will Pass On' learns to LET GO ... only through 'letting go' can the mind experience true peace and liberation.

With Metta,

Bro. Oh Teik Bin



No comments: