Tuesday, March 13, 2007
Of Criticisms and Complaints
Oftentimes we criticize and complain about the unsatisfactory state of affairs with regard to other people, the society we live in, our environment etc etc. We have grouses and complain about things such as:
* the declining moral standards of people, particularly the youths today.
* the deteriotating discipline in schools.
* the falling standards of English.
* the value system of the young today.
* issues of environmental pollution.
* issues of health education.
* issues of rural and urban poverty.
* other social problems.
Now, we need to ponder and ask ourselves: 'What are we ourselves doing to help to reach out to others or make the world a little better to live in? Are we mere armchair critics? Are we mere cynics? Are we living a life just centering on our own self-interests? Have we been giving all sorts of excuses for our apathy and lack of concern and care for others and the world we live in? Are we just perpetually caught up in seeking pleasures for ourselves?
Perhaps it's time we seek wise answers to the pertinent question : 'What do we ought to do with our life?'
Bro. Oh Teik Bin